- This event has passed.
MICA 11th Annual Artwalk
May 17, 2019 @ 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
WHAT: 11th annual ArtWalk
WHEN: 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Friday, May 17
WHERE: Maryland Institute College of Art, 1300 W. Mount Royal Ave.
BALTIMORE — This May, The Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) will once again welcome the Baltimore community and beyond to campus for a chance to see the incredible work of students for the one of biggest displays of visual art in the city.
The 11th annual ArtWalk — which takes place from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Friday, May 17 in multiple buildings on MICA’s campus — brings more than 3,000 unique one-of-a-kind artworks by nearly 400 of the nation’s most talented emerging artists. ArtWalk is a kick-off event for the annual Commencement Exhibition and celebration of MICA’s undergraduate class of 2019.
This year, for the first time, the event is paired with The LAUNCH Exhibition, the annual showcase of curated works from the graduating students of MICA’s MFA, MA, and Post-Baccalaureate programs. LAUNCH will be set up a short walk away across the Howard Street Bridge in ICA Baltimore, 6 W. North Ave. Shuttle service will also be provided.
“ArtWalk provides a unique opportunity for the next generation of art and design professionals to showcase their thoughtful creations by inviting the Baltimore community — and beyond — to visit MICA’s campus to see the work and have a conversation with the makers in a celebratory atmosphere,” Michael Weiss, associate dean of Fine Arts and the First Year Experience, said.
Those in attendance of ArtWalk, which is a free event, will have the opportunity to meet and talk with the artists, as well as the chance to be first in line to purchase their artwork.
Several food trucks will be on site for food purchases in the Bunting East parking lot, including Dooby’s, BMore Greek, The Greenbowl, Kooper’s Chowhound, Mexican on the Run, Miss Twist, and Pasta La Vista, Baby!. Cafe Doris, located in MICA’s Fox Building, will offer a limited-service menu. Three cash bars will be provided by Dooby’s in the East Bunting Lot, Cohen Plaza and at Station. They will sell beer, wine, and kombucha for $5.
ArtWalk pieces will be located in:
- Gateway, 1601 W. Mount Royal Ave., through the lobby areas and in BBOX.
- Bunting Center, 1401 W. Mount Royal Ave., in the Pinkard Gallery and throughout the first floor.
Fox Building, 1305 W. Mount Royal Ave., in the classrooms and galleries located on the first, second, third and fourth floors including Decker Gallery, Meyerhoff Gallery, and J. Allen Gallery.
- Brown Center, 1301 W. Mount Royal Ave., outside the entrance, in lobbies hallways and galleries located on the lower level, first, second, third and fourth floors including Leidy Atrium and Rosenberg Gallery.
- Main Building, 1300 W. Mount Royal Ave., in galleries, classrooms, and hallways located on the lower level, first, second and third floors including Lower Main Gallery, Wilgus Gallery, and Main Court. (to access the lower level take the staircase or the elevator)
- Dolphin Design Center, 100 Dolphin St., on the second and fifth floors.
- Mount Royal Station, 1400 Cathedral St., in classrooms and galleries located on the first, second and third floors including Middendorf Gallery, Portico, Rinehart Space and the parking lot.
- Cohen Plaza, 1303 W. Mount Royal Ave.
- Sally’s Garden, 1200 block of W. Mount Royal Ave.Note: Free parking is available in the Mosher and Station parking lots, though parking will be limited. The church lot will be closed during ArtWalk. Additional paid parking is available at The Fitzgerald Garage (across from Mount Royal Station), and will cost $15. Due to a number of events on Friday evening, traffic will also likely be impacted. Event goers are encouraged to walk, take public transportation or use a rideshare to get to MICA’s campus.
For more information about ArtWalk, visit https://www.mica.edu/annual-events-series/artwalk/about/.
For more information about LAUNCH, visit https://www.mica.edu/graduate-programs/graduate-experience/launch/launch-exhibition/.