Renovation is about to get underway at the former Strawbridge Methodist Church at 201 Wilson Street at Park Avenue.
Bolton Hill Belfry, LLC, the building’s owner and developer, announced that major structural repairs in the sanctuary are completed. The project has recently won competitive historic tax credits from the Maryland Historic Trust. The owners also have applied for national historic tax credits. The early English Gothic-style church was constructed in 1889 and designed by renowned architect Charles L. Carson. The building has been vacant since 2009.
The church and rectory will be converted into 11 luxury rental apartments. The developer has also proposed a free art gallery in the sanctuary which will be open to the public. Maryland Institute College of Art has expressed interest in occupying the space.
The developers are finalizing the design and hope to pull permits in Spring of 2020. Construction timeline is estimated at less than 12 months.